4-Way Meal Prep: Roasted Spiced Vegetables, Chickpeas and Quinoa
This blog does not intend to provide diagnosis...
In this article:
By Sharon Palmer, RD
Meal prep this healthy, delicious combination based on chickpeas, carrots, cauliflower, quinoa, and spices. In about 35 minutes, you can put together these four vegan, gluten-free meals for a week of healthy eating:
- Vegetable, Chickpea Quinoa Power Bowl
- Chickpea Quinoa Kale Salad
- Vegetable Chickpea Quinoa Wrap
- Roasted Vegetable Chickpea Pasta
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained (or use cooked heirloom beans like these)
- 1 small head cauliflower, separated into small florets
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (may substitute with an antioxidant oil blend)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (try fennel seeds for a twist in flavor)
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked red paprika (or substitute with ground chipotle peppers)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup cooked lentil pasta
- 1 cup fresh chopped kale
- 1 tortilla or wrap (gluten-free)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- On a baking sheet, arrange a thin layer in vertical sections of: carrots slices, green bell pepper slices, red onion slices, chickpeas, and cauliflower florets.
- Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice evenly over the vegetables.
- In a small dish, mix together cumin seeds, smoked red paprika, oregano, garlic powder, sea salt, and coconut palm sugar. Sprinkle the seasoning mix evenly over the vegetables.
- Place on top rack of the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Remove from the oven.
- While vegetables are roasting, prepare quinoa. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add quinoa and vegetable bullion, cover, and simmer over medium for about 15 minutes, until tender. Remove from burner.
- To prepare meal prep 4 ways: Divide the roasted vegetables and cooked quinoa among 4 rectangular glass containers with toppings as follows:
Vegetable, Chickpea Quinoa Power Bowl: In a glass rectangular container, arrange cooked quinoa, top with roasted vegetables and chickpeas, and sprinkle with hemp seeds. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Reheat in the microwave or enjoy cold.
Chickpea Quinoa Kale Salad: In a glass rectangular container, arrange chopped kale, top with roasted vegetables and chickpeas, cooked quinoa, and hemp seeds. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Vegetable Chickpea Quinoa Wrap: In a glass rectangular container, arrange 1 tortilla or wrap. Top with a layer of quinoa, roasted vegetables and chickpeas, and hemp seeds. Roll the tortilla around the mixture, cover, and refrigerate until serving time. Reheat in the microwave or enjoy cold.
Roasted Vegetable Chickpea Pasta: In a glass rectangular container, arrange cooked lentil pasta, vegetables, quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes, and hemp seeds. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Reheat in the microwave or enjoy cold.
Garnish with fresh herbs as desired (cilantro, parsley, basil). To enjoy, simply reheat in the microwave or serve the meals cold. Toss together with a fork before eating. Store below 40 degrees F for up to 5 days before eating.
Makes 4 meals